Foil tape delamination

This is a public forum for 737 maintenance related questions, requests and experience exchange discussions for every Boeing 737.

Foil tape delamination

Postby engineer » 22 Mar 2020, 14:45

Hi everybody!

I have hit a snag.My company has received aircraft recently, during its operation the delamination of some foil was found forward of DME antenna. The foil structure looks like aluminium speed tape and sealed around. Such foil is present around of all DME antennas and I can 't find any documents or links where the foil was appeared on the aircraft.

Maybe someone has met any information or can suggest something about such type of improvement. Thanks in advance
Attachments
antenna.jpg
engineer

Re: Foil tape delamination

Postby sjap » 24 Mar 2020, 18:38

This is VERY strange.
The DME should be installed directly on the bare skin. I dont what the foil is about, iv never seen that on any 737 in my life. Looks like a mod or some kind of repair. It certainly is not looking legal, or like a boeing approved repair?..
Suggest to remove the whole foil and antenna, clean the whole fuselage and install the antenna as it should be iaw amm.
There must be a normal skin underneath....
sjap

Re: Foil tape delamination

Postby engineer » 25 Mar 2020, 22:41

Thank you for your advise Sjap. Now, I suspect that it is a repair in accordance with SRM 51-70-14. Panel 192F was made from composite and covered with aluminum flame spay coating.If this coating is damaged, this type of repair might be performed. If so, there will be a composite under the foil without aluminum flame spay coating .The plane will be stopped for ะก -check soon and I will check if my guess is correct.
engineer

Return to - 737 technical questions & requests -