Flight deck preparation

This is a public forum for 737 maintenance related questions, requests and experience exchange discussions for every Boeing 737.

Flight deck preparation

Postby masster » 11 Aug 2017, 02:23

Hello everybody
I am interested where could I find a list of all switches/knobs position in the cockpit of a B737NG when the pilot receives the airplane from the maintenance crew. I mean how do they have to leave the cockpit set? Do they have an official check list for all the buttons/switches/levers/etc.? Where could I find it please?
masster

Re: Flight deck preparation

Postby maro12 » 11 Aug 2017, 09:35

Hello masster,

Ref. Your Company procedures.

Best Regards,
maro12
maro12

Postby masster » 11 Aug 2017, 18:28

Thank you for reply.
I don't work for an aviation company so I don't have access to any procedures. My interest on flight deck preparation has another reason. I've built at home an almost exact replica of a fixed base flight simulator for B737NG. I have all normal checklists for it. It's missing only the flight deck preparation, meaning the initial position of all buttons/switches/levers/etc. I hope there is some sort of checklist for the line maintenance crew. They should handout(?) the flight deck only after they set everything according to that checklist. Moreover, I'm expecting the flight crew to double check the flight deck status from cold and dark. I hope that my request is more clear now.
masster

Postby maro12 » 11 Aug 2017, 19:58

Hello masster,

When maintenance personnel arrives aircraft before first flight, before switching power ON has to make sure configuration is safe (for example someone did not leave elec hydraulic pump switch on, so hydraulic will not kick in right away and sudden flight controls movements might take place), also configuration is in accordance with aircraft manufacturer recommendations/instructions and just use common sense (You will not leave landing light switch ON when light is not required) - here maintenance personnel uses Their knowledge and experience.

After Power Up the aircraft, maintenance personnel configures cockpit for the crew (this I mean can be written in company procedures) - things like: align IRS, galley/cabin power ON, Emergency Lights ARM, packs ON, etc.

Pilots arriving the aircraft anyway doing Their Checklist (Preflight/Postfilght Scan), and this is described in FCOM - Flight Crew Operation Manual.

I found one in internet as example so I guess it might be posted here:

http://www.737ng.co.uk/737NG%20POH.pdf

See "Normal Procedures" - "Preflight and Postflight Scan Flow" and further down "Preliminary Preflight Procedure - Captain and F/O".

This reading should give You some overview.

Best Regards,
maro12
maro12

Postby masster » 12 Aug 2017, 22:15

Thank you. I've managed to acquire the AngleOfAttack's 737 Training DVDs and indeed there is a so called "originator" checklist for the cold and dark flight deck (first flight of the day). The link to Hungarian FCOP helped a lot too. Cheers.
masster

Postby Electron » 13 Aug 2017, 02:54

There are a few options for you:

1) If you are developing a procedure for your company, the best people to approach is your company chief pilots themselves. They would be happy to help, and have a degree of responsibility and duty of care to assist.

2) If you just want to learn how to leave it for them, you will need a Flight Crew Operations Manual (FCOM).

3) The best way is to remember to put the switches BACK to where they were set before they were disturbed by maintenance crews as required by AMM procedures which usually say "return aircraft to normal condition" or something similar. This is what I do.
Electron

Return to - 737 technical questions & requests -