B737-700 sync lock shaft tubing removal/installation

This is a one chapter forum for 737 maintenance questions and requests

B737-700 sync lock shaft tubing removal/installation

Postby maro12 » 17 Jan 2017, 17:27

Hello Guys,

Is there any problem in removing and reinstalling sync lock shaft tube (between mid and lower actuator) with shaft without aircraft power? (procedure ask You to apply retract pressure with lock device/connector installed on the module when installing)

"To correctly rig the sync shaft, hydraulic pressure must be applied to the retract side of the thrust reverser actuators when the sync shaft is installed."

I want to remove tube, change seals and backup rings, reinstall tube.

Anyone done this job before?

Thank You in advance for any comments.

Best Regards,
Maro12
maro12

Re: B737-700 sync lock shaft tubing removal/installation

Postby sjap » 17 Jan 2017, 21:06

Yes.
Stow the sleev with hydr press.
Check adjustment and measure clearances of edges and targets. Write it down.
Then best thing to do is to unlock sleeve, move the sleeve manually (turn on synclock) aft halfway.
This is to relief all preloads and tensions anywere.
Remove all hydr press / reservoir press etc.
Then remove the shaft and tube. Make sure the sleeve / actuators DOES NOT MOVE.
Reinstall same parts with new o rings.
Connect the flex shaft the same position as it was removed.
Then if everything is installed, move the sleeve to stow by hand (turn on synclock)
Apply hydr press and cycle the sleeve many times make sure all air is removed and sleeve operates smooth and equally to the other sleeve.
If the sleev does not move the first time it is air trapped. It happens all the time. Just keep trying. Else move the sleev by hand from stow to extend and back.
Then in the stow position check the adjustment of the sleeve / targets. Or compare with preious measurements.
Good luck. use common sense too.
sjap

Postby maro12 » 17 Jan 2017, 23:53

Hello Sjap,

Thank You very much for Your prompt response.

So the square part of sync lock shaft can stuck in the actuator with the load and I might have problem to remove it, correct?

You wrote:"move the sleeve manually (turn on synclock) aft halfway(...) to relief all preloads and tensions anywhere";

Is moving sleeve aft by 10 inches enough to relief loads? It is inboard half of T/R, I could open T/R to 45 deg position for access to mid actuator lower coupling nut. But on inboard T/R half I have to watch not to hit the wing, so AMM gives me only 10 inches.

Thank You again for Your time.

Best regards,
Maro12
maro12

Postby sjap » 18 Jan 2017, 00:48

Yes 10 inches should be enough. As long as the preload springs are relieved.
And indeed the square part of the flex shaft which goes into the actuator is normally no problem als long as there is no preload or any other tension on it. If you can remove it tension free, you can install it the same way. And then you have nothing to worry about for the adjustments.
sjap

Return to - 737 technical questions & requests -