B737-200 Removal of the wings

This is a public forum for 737 maintenance related questions, requests and experience exchange discussions for every Boeing 737.

B737-200 Removal of the wings

Postby ivanvbm » 26 May 2012, 23:32

Dear Forum's Users,

I need to remove the wings of a B737-200. Then will be transported by ground in trucks, the fuselage and wings.
I would like to know if somebody has already carry out this job. I have experience in B737-200 maintenance
but this job is atypical, do not appears in any technical publication from Boeing.

Any idea is welcome!

Thank you for your attention.

Ivan B.
ivanvbm

Re: B737-200 Removal of the wings

Postby sjap » 27 May 2012, 09:18

The wings are normaly never removed from the fuselage in the lifetime of the a/c.
They are shimmed and exactly positioned in Renton Seattle and bolted to the fuselagemidframe.
If you want to remove them you have to remove all attachment bolts (and sealant).
You may find these bolts and nuts under the wing/fuselage fairing underside wing and from the cabin under the floorpanels above the centertank.
I guess you are not planning to fly this a/c after removal/installation of the wings.......is it a museum item?
sjap

Postby Dunny » 27 May 2012, 16:34

The wings are built into the fuselage structure. You wont removed them....

If you want them off, you'll have to cut them off.
Dunny

Postby ivanvbm » 28 May 2012, 06:26

Thank you for your reply. The airplane will not fly anymore, is to make a restaurant inside. The option to cut-off and then in the site (after travel), to attach the wings with splices or welding, could be the "easy" form because the airplane have 4 years on ground. But is not decided yet. Regards.
ivanvbm

Postby sudavia » 06 Jun 2014, 03:56

well, its an old post but I''ve done that job many times and don't think cutting is the best way. It's not too hard to remove in one piece, you will need ground assistnace to hold the wing of course because you have to remove the landing gear first.
The wing job is easy, it takes some time but you can do it without problem.
speaking of the bolts (after you remove the fairings and disconnected all the things attached to the wings): clean the prc of the main bolts and nuts and lossen them (3m brusch products, rpm chemical, or just an old piece of saw and a little of patience), break the nuts of the secondary bolts (there are some details in this particular job but its not complicated). once you have the wing supported by any kind of external assistance you remove the main bolts and it goes easily out.
some tips include make bigger holes inside the wing and fuselage tanks to make more confortable the job.
sudavia

Postby mark63 » 14 Feb 2017, 09:27

I am part of a team who wish to take the wings off a B737-200 to move it from an airport to a reserve by truck, it will be put on display and obviously never fly again. I am a heavily experienced B737-200/300/400/500 line and heavy maintenance LAE, but have never needed to remove a wing as it is not required.
Apart from the main wing to centre section bolts (within the centre and wing tanks), I remember there being countless hi-lock fasteners through the laminated lower wing skins. I cannot remember the upper skin fastening. Which i imagine will require removal too?
There is no information within the MM, but I believe there may be information within the recovery manual, anyone have a copy?
Can someone with the experience in wing removal give some more information regarding the upper and lower skin or other attachments of the wing to the centre section.
Would prefer to remove the wing, minus engines, flaps and MLG without destructing the wing by cutting.
Any help much appreciated
mark63

Postby sjap » 15 Feb 2017, 18:18

Mark63,

Its not impossible to do.
Another school i know, and were a co-worker is teaching now, transported a 737-200 from Germany to the Netherlands and they removed the wings too.
You can ask him how they did it and if they have more tips&tricks for you.
This is the contact:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/michielsteenbeek/
more info on the 737 relocation:
http://www.saan.nl/Nieuws/EntryId/421

and
https://www.pilootenvliegtuig.nl/2015/09/29/sleutelen-aan-737-bij-roc-van-amsterdam/
sjap

Postby mark63 » 22 Mar 2017, 03:01

Thanks for the information sjap. I am now in contact with Michiel and he is supplying me with great information. I will add my experience when we start
mark63

Return to - 737 technical questions & requests -